Thursday, February 28, 2008

St. Teresa of Avila Talks About the Pew Study

My dear sister in Christ,
This is not the reason numbers have dropped, but I want you to stop and consider one phrase: The Inquisition.

Now, as an unworthy one attempting to be faithful through the pure grace of Our Majesty, I do not wish to brag. I simply wish to remind you that the Inquisition was a concrete reality in my day, and the Inquisitors questioned my work and the mystical gifts I received from God. It was not pleasant. Then my order gave me all kinds of difficulty in creating a more strict observance of the Carmelite charism. My most honorable Padre Juan was kept in solitary confinement from members of the order for a time. It was not a good moment in the history of the Catholic Church, let's say. Perhaps you've heard of it.

So how did we respond?

We became saints. ...
Ironic Catholic has her finger on the pulse of responses to the less than perfect Church ... via St. Teresa. Go read the whole thing. Highly instructive while being handled with a light touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment