Friday, March 21, 2008

O My People ... Tonight is the Veneration of the Cross

If you haven't gone before, I highly recommend it. here is what I wrote last year.

Update
And here is what Practicing Catholic wrote about it from this year. She has much of what Fr. L. talked about which was simple and yet devastating ... and true.

I will simply add that this year they chanted all the liturgy, not just the Gospel. I must say that when the young man chanting the first reading and the responsorial approached the lecturn, he was a vision to behold. I nudged Rose and she got a big smile on her face. Of course, he had a gorgeous voice so both our eyes and ears were pleased. I even recovered enough to meditate on the readings being chanted. Which may have been a miracle.

One of the things that really struck me last night during the long and beautiful recitation of the prayers, was that all the time that I was wondering what was the truth, was there really a God and how did one know it ... the Church had been praying for me all along. I was wonderstruck and grateful.

Seriously, toward the end of the service, I felt as if I had been drenched in the day, simply soaked it up until I could hold no more. It was a truly wonderful way to go into this empty day of Holy Saturday. I am truly looking forward to the joy of Easter morning. (The vigil service is just too long for me ... I go with the women to the tomb on Easter day. Or maybe with Peter? He wasn't up so early ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment