Friday, June 13, 2008

On the Home Front

  • Rose is reading Auralia's Colors and liking it a lot. Though she is picking up Biblical character types in it ... which surprised Hannah and me since we didn't notice anything like that.

  • Mouth Wide Open has another installment up at Forgotten Classics podcast. Never fear. We shall return to The Wonder Stick and Ru's adventures next week.

  • Tom and I are going away for two days to celebrate our anniversary (late). So if there is a lack of updating around here, I'm sure you'll understand why.

  • Getting ready for the trip to Rose's school in July (doubling for our family vacation), I've reserved the dogs their places at a unique boarding experience ... the Canine Country Club Day Spa and Resort. Isn't that too hilarious? It is attached to the vet where Hannah works and I'd heard good things about it a few years ago from an acquaintance. So we shall see ...

  • I just began reading A Long Retreat: In Search of a Religious Life and am finding it strangely compelling reading. Just a few chapters in but will keep y'all updated.

  • I finished Silence last night. WOW, WHAT A BOOK! I was (happily) surprised not to find it depressing as I had heard many others say. What I found was it was so very thought provoking. I think I probably will have to reread the last chapter (not the Appendix) as I need to think about this some more. I will do more of a "proper" review later but can HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! I'm really looking forward to discussing this with the book club.

  • Hannah has been watching Arrested Development. I had forgotten just how drop-dead funny it was. That may be a series we need to buy.

  • Hannah also has been reading the Deathworld series from Harry Harrison. I'd also forgotten just how entertaining those books are. Next, I'm going to show her West of Eden ... a masterpiece of sci-fi.

  • Rose and I finally began finally catching up on Lost. It will give you an idea of how far behind we are when I say that we just watched "The Other Woman" where Juliette has a fling with ... Godwin (?). Nothing like a little adultery to get everyone's emotions going. Although Ben takes possessive to new heights.

  • Tom took on a personal project that benefited ... me! He brought home a computer from the office that wasn't being used and set it up for podcasting. In a separate room so people don't have to tiptoe around and I don't have to get up on Sundays at 6 a.m. so I'm not bothering everyone. Bought a new microphone ... and a mixing board. Installed free software (at great expense of hours and patience!) and has been working with it to set levels, etc. All his own idea. What a sweetheart!

  • My pal, Laura, has begun an internship as a sidewalk counselor at abortion mills locally. It is, naturally, emotionally wearing for her. However, it has been a really good reminder for me every single day as I hear her stories that I need to keep everyone ... babies, mothers, families, counselors ... in the front of my mind and my prayer life. As well as praying for the softened hearts of those in the abortion industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment