Monday, September 8, 2008

What can get me out of my sickbed?

Stopping to get gas on the way to work this morning, I suddenly started feeling kinda queasy, kinda headachey. Told myself that it was just allergy stuff, shake it off.

Nope. Thank goodness I work with Tom so that I could buzz his office when I realized this was getting worse and I couldn't drive myself home. He instantly whisked me away and after one of the absolutely most tortuous experiences I've ever had riding in a car (not his fault, solely due to my condition), I was home and free to succumb to this horrendous allergy attack. That is what I assume it was anyway.

This is when having an iPod is really great. When you wake up and feel the need for entertainment ... there is someone to read to you.

Chapter after chapter of The Onion Files from Podiobooks rolled through my ears. Why did I feel the need to only listen to a techno-thriller written and read by a Major General (yes, you read that right)? I don't know but his spy story read in those somewhat halting "general-ish" tones fit the bill.

Now, feeling better enough that I could listen to something else ... let's be truthful, I ran through all the chapters I had on the iPod and didn't want to turn on the computer to load on more ... I turned to the second SFFaudio conversation between Jesse and Scott.

As they are talking about all the new arrivals, I suddenly remembered the door bell ringing earlier, scaring the cat right off of my chest (so I was feeling somewhat better by that point). I remembered Voodoo Planet ... Already Dead ... Carnival by Elizabeth Bear ... and 52, PART 2 ... all supposed to be on their way to me from Scott.

I catapulted out of bed. Yep, a nice little box from Scott was right by the front door. The first of two shipments ... sweet. Uploading 52, Part 2 now (and Addison ... I need Part 1 back. I suppose that must wait until you get back from Ireland.)

And, by the way, I'm with Jesse ... Librivox rules. Depends on the readers, of course, and some are not that good but you get something by Andy Minter, Chip, Lee Eliott, or Karen Savage ... to mention just a few of the fantastic readers they have there ... and that's good listenin'. Just give The Invisible Man read by Alex Foster a try. You'll be glad you did.

Now, back to my bed for what I think will be the last of my allergy naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment