Thursday, December 18, 2008

When we feel powerless and need inspiration - Updated

I have a dear friend who is undergoing severe persecution right now. I cannot help her. I can only pray for her.

I have been listening to Immaculee Ilibagiza on Christopher Closeup and Personally Speaking (episodes 130 and 131) talk about living through the Rwandan genocide.

I think about the persecution we read of in the Middle East and China.

Then, there are many people who are struggling spiritually right now during Advent. They feel powerless.

I thank God that I am not among any of these. However, all these instances remind me that there is so much sin and suffering in the world and sometimes it seems to great to bear.

Then I remember that it comes down to each person and their relationship with the living God. That how we reflect His love to those around us is what changes the world, person by person.

One of the ways that helps to inspire me and that helps me to remember this can be found here. Yes, I point this out from time to time, but what can I say? It inspires me.

I remember that though I am small, God is great. He can and will work great and unexpected works through us if we let him. Even though we cannot see the great plan he can. In this we trust.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Julian of Norwich

There's a woman who is embroidering. Her son, seated on a low stool, sees her work, but in reverse. He sees the knots of the embroidery, the tangled threads. He says, "Mother, what are you doing? I can't make out what you are doing!" Then mother lowers the embroidery hoop and shows the good part of the work. Each color is in place that the various threads form a harmonious design. So, we see the reverse side of the embroidery because we are seated on the low stool.
Saint Pio
While we are remembering all this, it never hurts to call in the angelic cavalry either. If all we can do is to pray, then that is our job and we must treat it seriously.
St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

UPDATE

We also must keep in mind that inspiration awaits us sometimes with the very people who are so persecuted. Despite the times that Immaculee wanted to die, she was given the grace to be able to look deep into her persecutors' eyes and forgive them. It is an amazing witness to which I encourage you to listen.

There is also the witness of young Namrata Nayak, whose face was disfigured when Hindi extremists bombed her home, hoping to kill Christians. The Anchoress has the whole story and much more for us. Here is just a bit of Namrata's witness to us.
The world has seen my face destroyed by the fire, now it must come to know my smile full of love and peace…I want to dedicate my life to spreading the Gospel.

[W]e forgive the Hindu radicals who attacked us, who burned our homes…They were out of their minds, they do not know the love of Jesus. For this reason, I now want to study so that when I am older I can tell everyone how much Jesus loves us. This is my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment