Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's All Downhill From Here ...

A little midweek humor for the Epiphany.
In a small southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me.

The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets.

Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left. At a "Quik Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You stupid Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible.

She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said "See, it says right here, the three wise man came from afar."

4 comments:

  1. Tante Leonie1/6/10, 8:59 AM

    This joke brought back fond memories for me. East Coast born and bred, I spent 10 wonderful years living in the deep South, starting in my late 20's.

    There were many, many instances of mutual language misunderstanding; someone neatly summed up the experience for me by demanding, "Why can't you talk right?"

    Ironically, I ended up marrying a southern man who unfortunately speaks like he was raised in the Midwest! Not a trace of an accent a'tall! I was robbed, pure and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I shared it with my school staff this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the joke in a Peter DeVries novel in which a character from the South reports some stray fact or statistic to a character from New England, who asks, "Who told you that?"

    "Tom."

    "Tom who?"

    "Tom Magazine."

    ReplyDelete