Thursday, March 18, 2010

Updated: The Best Part About The Anchoress's Being a Writer ...

... is that she has a notebook from which she sometimes unpacks snippets for us ...
Priest: ‘I think I’ve lost my faith.’
Cardinal Cushing: ‘Don’t flatter yourself; you’re just bored.’ --Sermon
=============
We are not meant to ’succeed’ at Lent, but to fail and know our dependence upon Grace.
=============
Know-it-all-son: I don’t pray; I don’t need to because God knows all.”
Me: But even Jesus prayed…
Even a blog writer winds up with snippets around. Mine are on note cards, jotted in my so-called journal which is really mostly cryptic notes and lists of what I'm reading at the moment. And, of course, quote journals. Lots and lots of quote journals.

UPDATED
I sent Cardinal Cushing's comment to our priest and he responded that he had heard it years ago but a bit better and perhaps a bit kinder. That made me go to Google, where I found this version, which was the one he remembered.
Cardinal Cushing had an interview with a young priest who said to him, 'Your Eminence, I am losing my faith.' The Cardinal said to him, 'Meaning no disrespect to your intellectual attainments, but you and I are too dumb to lose our faith. The great heretics like Martin Luther lose their faith. You and I just get bored!'

No comments:

Post a Comment