Friday, February 25, 2011

I pay so little attention to the Academy Awards ...

... that I just now realized why I've been seeing so many stories about Oscar-related items. I had to look up the Academy Awards date on Wikipedia to see that they were coming up this Sunday.

(Note: language warning for the bottom of this story)

It's not that I necessarily have anything against them. Ever since Tom and I went to see Forrest Gump and then Il Postino because they won Oscars (figure out how long ago that was for yourselves), and were underwhelmed, I have been fairly disinterested in the Academy's opinion.

However, I still find myself reading the related articles. And when I'm sent a good one, this time by Margaret, like this one about the nun who is still a voting member of the Academy, then I am actually engaged. Especially when she seems to have common sense as well.
I don’t think that they would be shocked by the gore and the sex and the violence in the movies as much as they would just feel that their time had been wasted. (On sharing all the movies with her community)
Hey, that's how I feel about the Oscars!
When I see Natalie Portman masturbating [in Black Swan], I hear the kids come in and talk about their problems with masturbating. What offends me is, Is the movie itself going to leave people without hope? You have to help them know that there is a way through their grief and their pain.
Precisely.

Because while I am disinterested in the Academy's opinion, I love movies and the way they can show us a different view.

No comments:

Post a Comment