Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's Funny What You Learn About Yourself from Memes ...

4. Bad book habit?
Reading so quickly that I don't pick up on the details others do, and then I don't remember much later. 
Jenny from Reading Envy (who I met through SFFaudio ... all the best people read science fiction, right?) picked up the world's longest book meme. I was excited to see we have two favorite childhood books in common.

But I also saw that interpretation is a funny thing. What Jenny sees as a bad reading habit is one that I suppose I would also call a bad habit. Except that very habit is what allows me to reread books and enjoy them all over again as I discover "new" details that I didn't catch the first time around.

Of course, sometimes, as in my rereading (via audiobook) of the last Harry Potter books I discover, as Jenny points out, that I don't remember much. But that is generally not the case for me. I usually remember the big pieces and when the excitement of the initial story is out of the way, then I can settle in to reread for those lovely details.

Anyway, all that aside, if you haven't looked around Reading Envy, you definitely should stop by. For one thing Jenny is an adventurous reader (by my standards) and not only glances over things like the 2011 Scotia Bank Giller Prize Shortlist but actually gets all the books and reads them to see which she likes best!

I know, right?

No wonder I stand in some awe of her.

2 comments:

  1. The hardest thing for me is remembering character names longer than past the chapter they were in. I have to take notes if I need to talk about it later! I guess the tradeoff is that I read a ton of books every year, and I prefer that over remembering everything about a fewer number. Winning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! :-D

    I at least can keep Professor Snape in mind for a few chapters! ha!

    And I'd be bored stiff if I had to read slowly enough to remember all the little details the first time around.

    ReplyDelete