Monday, February 27, 2012

And You Thought Government Interference Was Bad Now. Reviewing: "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger GamesThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I always knew that eventually I'd have to read this book. For one thing, I figured that Scott would choose it for the A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast, because I know he's a fan. Then, of course there is the upcoming movie which looks darned good in the trailer. And the myriad book buddies who are incredulous that I haven't read it.

Who knew that it would be fellow small group facilitators at RCIA who would make the final push? We were whispering together in the back of the church while the catechumens (nonbaptized who are converting) and their sponsors were practicing for last weekend's Rite of Call (or something like that) where they are presented to our church at Mass this week. (Let's not get into the fact that I am now going to have to add Les Miserables to my "to read" list and my movie list. Yes, these guys are into great stories.)

Anyway, that made me wonder if it were available to borrow for my Kindle since I'm a Prime Member. Sure enough, I was able to begin reading after the click of a button.

We all know what this is about, right? In a dystopian future, Panem is the Capitol of the land, surrounded by 12 outlying districts. Life is severe and difficult in the districts and, making matters worse, a harsh tribute is exacted as punishment for a failed rebellion. A boy and a girl from each district must travel to the Capitol and participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. This is rightly regarded as a death sentence, so when her little sister is chosen, 16-year-old Katniss steps forward in her place.

I was surprised at how interesting I found this book, to the point of staying up much too late to finish it at break-neck speed. It is a formula with the usual elements of a girlie adventure book adhered to with somewhat depressing predictability (she's prettier than she knows, just saying what she thinks and being her own awkward self engages the crowd, etc.). However, the competition and her relationship with Peeta raises this above the usual fare, especially since we know she will survive the games. Heck, she's telling the story for one thing.

Although I've heard the other two books of the trilogy are less solid I know that eventually Katniss is gonna have to take out those bahstids at Capitol (foreshadowing was heavy on that) and I am curious to see what happens. I'll have to wait a bit though since I can't check out another Amazon book until March 1 and the library has 117 people waiting in line before me for an available copy. So I will rejoin the tale in a couple of weeks.

6 comments:

  1. I'm surprised this is your first time! I always recommend these to people who loved Harry Potter or His Dark Materials, or even The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, because it even has fun similarities to that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much!!

    I hope you post on the others, I would love to hear your opinion of them. I have read all 3, but I don't know many people that have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I think that the overall idea sounded to me like a "been there, read that" for some reason. Or maybe because everyone was going gaga over it? I'm something of a contrarian that way, sad to say! :-)

    Molly, I will! If only I can get my hands on them. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the waiting list at the library for these books. Usually I wait until the fuss has passed before picking up popular books but I like to have an opinion on everything and feel I should read them so I can be part of the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meagan loves this book. She's a huge Haryy Potter fan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What good taste she has! :-)

    ReplyDelete