Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Notes on Mark: Transfiguration as Suspension of Miracle


MARK 9:2-8
The transfiguration is a mystery pure and simple. I would have been just as dumbfounded as the disciples who were there to witness it. 

I am not sure where I picked up this particular note (perhaps our parish Bible study?), however, it is fascinating to see that St. Thomas Aquinas said the transfiguration was actually the cessation or suspension of a miracle. This is because Christ pulled aside the veil of flesh to allow His natural glory to be seen.

Mind-blowing, am I right?

Let's just wrap our minds around that for a bit and then I'll have some other people's take on the transfiguration for further mind-bending.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Thank, you that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description made me think of the aliens in the movie Cocoon. Somewhat similar, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be... for he IS God... so the suspension is the miracle, not the "transfiguration"

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a mucial piece by Arnold Schoenberg titled "Transfigured Night" (a beautiful piece, by the way). The title in German is "Verklaerte Nacht", and I relate this to the Transfiguration being a clarifying for the apostles, seeing Christ's reality more clearly. It's nice to know that I'm on the same page as Aquinas. Always good company!

    ReplyDelete