Friday, June 20, 2014

The Narnia Code by Michael Ward

The Narnia Code: C. S. Lewis and the Secret of the Seven HeavensThe Narnia Code: C. S. Lewis and the Secret of the Seven Heavens by Michael Ward

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In "The Narnia Code," Michael Ward takes the reader through each of the seven Narnia books and reveals how each story embodies and expresses the characteristics of one of the seven planets of medieval cosmology--Jupiter, Mars, Sol, Luna, Mercury, Venus and Saturn--planets which Lewis described as "spiritual symbols of permanent value." How does medieval cosmology relate to the Christian underpinnings of the series? How did it impact Lewis's depiction of Aslan, the Christlike character at the heart of the books?
This was free to borrow on my Kindle, so I gave it a shot.

And I was really intrigued with the idea that Lewis was using medieval cosmology as themes for each of the Narnia books. After reading That Hideous Strength in which eldils from different planets are significant, Ward's idea made sense.

The whole explanation of medieval cosmology as seen in the Narnia books is riveting and, if for no other reason, I am very glad to be introduced to the subject.

I am 50% done and am really enthralled by this idea. I actually will pick up the Narnia series with book 4 after I'm done with this one.

I've requested Ward's earlier, more scholarly, book on this subject and also C.S. Lewis's "The Discarded Image" for his explanation of medieval mindsets (it's supposed to be pretty amazing).

No comments:

Post a Comment