Thursday, September 15, 2016

Blogging Around: 4 Movies and a Book Edition

What if a gun had a soul and didn't want to be a gun?



Any fan of Iron Giant recognizes the "gun with a soul" as the main theme of Brad Bird's film, which was declared an instant children's classic. We were always so sorry that it got no marketing help and died at the box office. 15 years later there's a new signature Blu-Ray edition out.

Stephen D. Greydanus has a wonderful look at a film which is a favorite in the HC household.

Two Takes on Florence Foster Jenkins

  • DarwinCatholics: Three fine performances, and a deeply unstable moral core.
  • Orson Scott Card: What could have been a cruel satire on a talentless old woman becomes a beautiful portrait of people who are trying to make the world a better place.
Both interpretations seem valid, based on the reviews, though I did have to skim a lot of Card's because it had more plot sharing than I wanted.  I'll have to wait until I see the film to decide who I agree with. Either way I want to see the movie.

Mel Gibson — Hacksaw Ridge and Passion of Christ Sequel


A Mighty Fortress by S. D. Thames

[Cue sound effect: Ringing bell.] We have a winner! From a quarter where I wouldn’t have expected to find one! A Mighty Fortress is a first (full-length) novel by an author I’d never heard of. It has so much going against it – it’s a Christian novel (which usually means low quality, let’s face it, especially when the authors are starting out). It’s a hard-boiled mystery into which the author injects supernatural and theological elements. There are even miracles. The miracle for me is how well this thing worked, and how much I loved it.
Sign me up. Read the full review at Brandywine Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment