Sunday, December 18, 2016

Jesse Tree - Day 18: Jeremiah

This is as far as I'm going to be able to get on the Jesse Tree this year. I have felt a real sense of connection to salvation history through Advent as I worked on this and I hope it has enriched your Advent also.

========

Our online Jesse Tree is to help us prepare for Christ's coming by studying His roots and Salvation History. 

Jesse Trees follow the same general outline but I've found they are widely varied in some of the details. Some may have one day for Moses, others may spend 4 days on different aspects of his life. I'll be following the basic outline but, therefore, using my own discretion in a few spots.

My sources for days and symbols are Catholic CultureLoyola PressFaith Magazine, and A few beads short.  

Day 18: Jeremiah

Symbols: tears

Jeremiah, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel ceiling

Jeremiah 1:4-10, 2:4-13, 7:1-15; 8:22-9:1-11

Jeremiah is often called the weeping prophet because of all the trouble he encountered in his 40 years of warning the people about the consequences of their sinfulness. He also continually expresses God's sorrow over Judah's lack of repentance.
O that my head were waters, and my eyes a fountain of tears,
that I might weep day and night
I myself always think of the better known passage which expresses Jeremiah's vocation and doubts.
Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth."

But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, `I am only a youth'; for to all to whom I send you you shall go, and whatever I command you you shall speak. Be not afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD." Then the LORD put forth his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, "Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.

Rembrandt van Rijn, Jeremiah Lamenting the Destruction of Jerusalem, c. 1630

No comments:

Post a Comment