Thursday, June 16, 2022

A Movie You Might Have Missed #65: The Interrupters

It's been 11 years since I began this series highlighting movies I wished more people knew about. I'm rerunning it from the beginning because I still think these are movies you might have missed.

Every City Needs Its Heroes


The Interrupters tells the moving and surprising stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their Chicago communities from the violence they themselves once employed. Shot over the course of a year, The Interrupters captures a period in Chicago when it became a national symbol for the violence in our cities.
It's funny, when I was watching this it seemed like a long two hours. But since it finished we haven't stopped talking about it. I realized that it needed to move at a fairly slow pace so that we understood all the nuances of the lives of the people living in an atmosphere of continual violence ... and the work of the people who interrupt, slow down conflicts long enough to help more of them come out the other end alive.

Powerful and, as I realized by my joy in seeing some people doing well in the Epilogue, moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment