Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Lagniappe: When Platypuses Fly

Dr. Maturin, who has a great naturalist bent, is speaking to Captain Jack Aubrey of the possibility of their sailing to New South Wales.
"Jack, I cannot tell you how I long to see a platypus." ...

"Never mind. It will be much better this time. You shall see great flights of platypuses at your leisure."

"My dear, they are mammals, furry animals."

"I thought you said they laid eggs."

"So they do. That is what is so delightful. They also have bills like a duck."

"No wonder you long to see one."
Patrick O'Brian, The Nutmeg of Consolation
(Master and Commander series #14)

1 comment:

  1. The Aubrey/Maturin novels are one of my most favorite ever. The historical accuracy, the depth of the characters, and the thrilling battle scenes make these books irresistible. It's too bad there are only twenty of them!

    ReplyDelete